Saturday, August 4, 2012

sister.

Have I told you how great my sister is?  From day one of my diagnosis, Emily has done more than I could have asked for to help me.  She forced me to leave work early on the day that I found out so that she could buy me an ice cream cone.  She cried and worried for me, because I didn't.  While I was in Vegas with my friends, she was asking her friends for doctor recommendations, calling doctors all over Denver to try to get me appointments, and sending me to-dos (which I ignored until I got home).  She came to the surgeon appointments with me and did the "interviews" - asking all of those important questions that the people on the websites recommend.  She also made me this binder:




She filled this binder with calendars, contact information, insurance information, blank pages for notes, research on thyroid cancer, doctors' profiles, notes from doctors appointments, etc.... more information than I ever could have imagined I would want or need, all in one place.  Even though she didn't send any to me, I'm sure she created a spreadsheet or two as well.  (She can't really do anything if there's not a spreadsheet involved.)


I've been really lucky to have her by my side through this - we had quite a bit of time to entertain each other during some lag times at doctors appointments.  We said a couple of times that we were probably not supposed to be having that much fun while waiting to talk to a surgeon about a thyroidectomy and a neck dissection.  But, that's what we do...




If you don't have a sister, I suggest that you go get one.  They're pretty awesome.


Em, ily.


-g

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that your sister has a pretty great sister, too. So, if there ever comes a day when I need a sister, I'm probably going to call you and your sister first. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete