Thursday, August 23, 2012

scarred.

I believe that scars tell stories.  I can tell you the story about the faded scar on the inside of my left forearm from when I burned myself on the grill the week that I graduated high school, the story about the scar on my foot from a bike accident when I was 5, the story about the scar on my right knee from a bike accident when I was 29 (yes), the story about the crescent-shaped scar right below that from when I fell through my neighbors' not-yet-fully-constructed deck onto their concrete basement floor when I was 3 (also true), or the story about the scar on my right shin that looks like someone put out a cigarette on my leg - it was actually from my dermatologist removing a mole when I was in high school.  I guess my right leg has been through some rough times.

I am not exactly a gentle person, and I often have bruises on my legs or arms since I  a) tend to walk into things and b) bruise easily (not really the best combination).  In fact, when I was getting prepped for surgery, the nurse asked me if I had fallen recently.  I didn't respond right away and then said, "On purpose?  Does sliding into third base count?"  Then she asked me if I had any cuts or scrapes on my body.  I immediately said yes and showed her the open scrape on my left knee, the raspberry on my left ankle, and the bruise on my right calf.  I explained that I had played a doubleheader softball game on Monday night.  She understood. 

So now I have a new scar and a new story to tell.  I'm not sure yet just how I will tell this story, but as my scar fades, I think my story will become more clear.  

Without further ado:
the BEFORE picture - this was actually taken the first day in May that I went to my doctor for the lump on my neck (do you see it?) 
and the AFTER shot - here is my beautifully scarred neck!

see, scars are cool
My scar is improving every day - it is still a little puffy and jagged, but it looks much better than it did a week ago.  Hopefully it will just be a thin line in a few months.  

I had my follow up appointment with Dr. Raeburn today and got a good report.  He said my scar looks "as good as it can at this point", my voice sounds better than he expected, and my pathology report came back as expected - also good news.  I had more blood drawn to test my calcium levels one more time, so there is a chance we will be able to tell if my parathyroids have finally started working yet (but sometimes it takes up to a month for them to work again).  

I am cleared to go back to work next week, but will start with half days just so that I don't go crazy right off the bat.  So, I'll ease back into it and thankfully my bosses are very understanding and think that's a good idea as well.  I have to make an appointment with a ENT/Speech doctor to see what we can do about my voice, but otherwise all reports are good!  Praise the Lord!

Now we are going to play a fun game called "How Much Did My Scar Cost?".  If you would like to play, please leave a comment with your official guess.  I have reviewed my online health insurance portal and the final number is the total of all claims submitted (and now approved) for services rendered from 8/8 - 8/11.  This includes, but is not limited to: Dr. Raeburn and the elves, an 11.5 hour surgery including operating room fees/incidentals, anesthesiologist, many pairs of blue latex gloves, nurses, housekeeping, unlimited pudding snack packs from the Nutrition fridge (until they ran out), lab rats testing my blood every 6 hours, one visit from the swallowing doctor, delicious meals of things like warm strawberry smoothies and bland mac and cheese, 3 nights and 3 days in room 814, and lots of sanitizing foam (foam when you enter and leave the room!). 

Make your best guess - I will close the guessing on Sunday night.  My immediate family and Theresa are ineligible because they know the answer already.  The winner will receive his or her choice of a handmade craft item... this you don't want to miss out on.  Happy guessing!

Lastly - Saltine update.  I am happy to say that with the help of Krystal and our friend Zach, I am down to 6.5 sleeves.  These saltines do make quite a tasty snack, but there are only so many saltines that one can eat.  It has been suggested that I attempt the "10 saltines in 60 seconds" challenge.  Maybe.

-g



6 comments:

  1. My guess is $37,294.

    Also, you can't do the 10 saltines in 60 seconds. IT'S SO HARD. Jason, James and Dad attempted 8 and they didn't finish either. Good luck!

    PS - craving crackers again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing more like $90-100,000.
    Gretchen, you are quite the writer. I'm so glad to hear about your pathology report!
    And, if anyone ever showed up in my house with a gift of saltines, I would really know they wanted to kill me (gluten gluten gluten).
    Love,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has come to my attention that some people are having trouble leaving a comment - if that is the case, feel free to email me at gretchenemain at gmail.com.

    Here are some additional guesses submitted via email:
    Aunt Margie $78,000 plus tax
    Uncle Clyde $60,000

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is really fun. I won't "guess" because I already know the answer. I waaaaay underguessed the first time. (Hint, hint!)

    Jen, I have now have an image of a bunch of saltines lined up like soldiers, headed toward Burlington. They are on a march to kill you and your intestines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope I can get this in under the wire! I guess $102,847. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you get sick of eating saltines, you could spill them on the floor and we could guess how many there are. Kind of like Rainman, with crackers instead of toothpicks.

    ReplyDelete