Wednesday, July 18, 2012

vacation.

Last week, 22 members of the Main family descended upon the unsuspecting town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado for 6 days.  We enjoyed lovely weather and took advantage of all of the activities that Steamboat has to offer, including tubing the Yampa River, riding the alpine slide, hiking, nearby Steamboat Lake State Park, the mountain gondola, the water park, and the exciting downtown shopping and restaurants.  With 13 adults and 9 kids (ages 8, 7, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 11 months, and 8 months), the week was a flurry of activity and all in all it was a great time spent together.  (Aunt Sue and Uncle Tom, we missed you both and it wasn't the same without you!)  We had some bittersweet moments as we remembered our amazing Grandma Grace who began the tradition of an extended Main family vacation long ago, but we knew she was smiling down upon us as we honored the legacy that she left behind for her family.


Here we are - aren't we fun?


Since we had the trip planned long ago, this week was one of the reasons that I decided to wait to do surgery in August.  I have one more milestone to go - another trip to Steamboat for my dear friends Jess and Daniel's wedding next weekend - and then the countdown to D-Day really begins!  


No updates on the surgery front.  Everything is still set for August 8th.  I am taking care of fun details like calling my health insurance company to let them know what's coming, filing a claim with Cigna for my short term disability and getting FMLA paperwork signed for my HR department.  I officially have my first month's worth of Synthroid, the thyroid hormone replacement medication that I will be dependent on for the rest of my life.  I will start taking it right after surgery. I hope I remember to take it every day....


For your entertainment, here is a current list of medical procedures that I have endured since May 7th when this whole debacle started:

Ultrasounds: 6*
CT Scan: 1
IV: 1
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy: 1 (12 passes = 12 different needles stuck in my neck)
Blood Drawn: 3 times*
Almost passed out from blood being drawn: 1 time


That's all I've got.


-g




*In full disclosure, 2 ultrasounds and 1 instance of blood being drawn were voluntary for a challenge I participated in at the gym.  The ultrasound measured body fat percentage (I lost almost 4%!) and the blood work measured my cholesterol (don't worry, it's still below human levels and didn't even register on the machine).






1 comment:

  1. Um, you lost 4%? That's awesome. I love that pic of the family - yes, y'all are so fun! Sounds like vacay was a blast. And how are the babies all KIDS now? I feel 40.

    ReplyDelete