Saturday, September 8, 2012

month.

Today is my surgiversary!  It has been one month since surgery.  I am super thankful to be feeling a million times better than I did a month ago on this day when I woke up in the post-op recovery room.  I went back to work full-time this week for the 4-day week, and I am using the "I'm recovering from surgery" excuse less and less.  Here are the updates:

Scar - It is still getting better every day and looking flatter and thinner.  I'm still using the Marula Oil from Africa (thanks to Mom) to help it heal.

Voice - I think my voice is slowly improving, but it definitely gets tired if I'm talking a lot during the day at work or something.  I can't talk very loudly so loud restaurants, bars, or concerts are no bueno.  Just ask Krystal.  I have an appointment with an otolaryngologist in a couple of weeks.  I think that's just a fancy name for a speech doctor.

Swallowing - Swallowing has also improved but I still choke if I take a big sip of water or swallow too fast.  I still struggle taking some of my pills... especially when I am half asleep when I first wake up and have to take my Synthroid.  Drinking out of a straw is easiest.  The swallowing doctor that I saw in the hospital gave me the tip to tuck my chin down against my neck (rather than tilting my head back) to help swallow.  Another doctor told me it is also helpful to tilt your head towards the injured side.  So, if you see me consuming a beverage and my head is tilted down and to the right, you know why.  Good thing I'm not going on any dates these days.  That would surely grab the attention of any gentleman suitor.

Saltines - THEY ARE GONE!  Thanks to some hungry friends in Memphis and me always being hungry, we have officially finished all 12 sleeves.  Whew!  My grandmother suggested that I donate my extra saltines to a homeless shelter, which is a great idea, but at that point I only had 1 sleeve left so I thought that would be kind of an awkward donation.  When I had more I was thinking about keeping them in my car and handing them out the the people begging on the street corners.

This was now 3 weeks ago but here is Krystal, Theresa, Melissa and I back when T was here visiting

In other news, as you all know, Tuesday is September 11.  I am participating in a stair climb at Red Rocks with a team of people from my office.  It is a big event and my company has participated in it for a few years.  Right now there are about 800 people registered, including firefighters and civilians.  The firefighters (many in full gear) will be leading the participants in a walk up and down the stairs at the Red Rocks Ampitheater.  We will do nine laps, climbing as many stairs as there were in the 110 floors of the World Trade Center towers.  I've never done this before and since I'm quite out of shape I don't know how it's going to go, but I'm looking forward to being part of such an incredible event.  Photos to come!  Check it out here.

This journey is not over yet but I'm confident that after the last month, I can handle whatever else will come my way.  Thank you all again for all of your thoughts and prayers.  I am thankful for each and every one of you!  God is good and I know he surrounded me with all of YOU to make it through this.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

-g

1 comment:

  1. "feeling a million times better than I did a month ago on this day when I woke up in the post-op recovery room"

    A million times better might be an understatement here. I can personally attest to this. AMEN to improvement.

    ReplyDelete