On May 30, my endocrinologist called to tell me that the results from the biopsy she had performed on my thyroid revealed that I have Papillary Thyroid Cancer. The pathologist hadn't sent her the full report yet but she wanted to call me right away and tell me. In my appointment just the day before, she mentioned thyroid cancer as a possibility and said that it was likely a best-case scenario for me. When she called to confirm the diagnosis, she was very encouraging and gave me a quick run-down of the basics of treatment. Surgery to remove my thyroid would be the first step and she gave me the names of surgeons in Denver that she highly recommended.
The next 24 hours was a bit of a blur. I was leaving for a bachelorette party in Las Vegas the next night and had limited time to call doctors, make appointments, finish packing, and digest the news. I was able to schedule one appointment with a surgeon for the following week. While I was vacationing in Vegas, Emily called every doctor in the city to try to get me in to see other surgeons, but it was going to be a couple of weeks before they could get me in. Since then, I have seen two surgeons for consultations. Both are excellent doctors with impressive credentials and experience and I felt comfortable with them both. In the end, went with the doctor who had the most experience with the exact type of surgery that I need.
The next 24 hours was a bit of a blur. I was leaving for a bachelorette party in Las Vegas the next night and had limited time to call doctors, make appointments, finish packing, and digest the news. I was able to schedule one appointment with a surgeon for the following week. While I was vacationing in Vegas, Emily called every doctor in the city to try to get me in to see other surgeons, but it was going to be a couple of weeks before they could get me in. Since then, I have seen two surgeons for consultations. Both are excellent doctors with impressive credentials and experience and I felt comfortable with them both. In the end, went with the doctor who had the most experience with the exact type of surgery that I need.
Right now I have surgery scheduled at the University of Colorado Hospital on Wednesday, August 8. My surgeon's name is Dr. Raeburn. Feel free to check out his credentials. He knows what he's doing - he performs about 100 of these surgeries per year. I am completely confident that I'll be in great hands with him doing the surgery. I'll call him this week to confirm everything and officially award the job to him.
My friend Sarah Etter's dad Jim has been enduring a battle with leukemia for the past couple of years. Last year was a rough year for him with a cycle of intense chemo treatments. He and his family kept his CarePages site updated with information and updates. Often, Jim would post an excerpt from Jesus Calling, the daily devotional that he and his family were reading together. These excerpts were always exactly on point for what they needed to hear that day and I always loved reading how God put those words in front of them that day. This Christmas, my mom gave a copy of Jesus Calling to all of the women in the Main/Weber family and we are all reading it this year. Little did I know how some of these readings would be so impactful for me. Here's the short reading from May 31, the day after I received my diagnosis:
"The Peace that I give you transcends your intellect. When most of your mental energy goes into efforts to figure things out, you are unable to receive this glorious gift. I look into your mind and see thoughts spinning round and round: going nowhere, accomplishing nothing. All the while, My Peace hovers over you, searching for a place to land.
Be still in my Presence, inviting Me to control your thoughts. Let My Light soak into your mind and heart, until you are aglow with My very Being. This is the most effective way to receive my Peace."
Sometimes life throws you curveballs. Fortunately, I know who's calling the pitches. I
know that God laid out a detailed, perfect plan for my life long before I was
even born, and this thyroid cancer is all a part of his beautiful plan.
It is because of God's promise for my life that I have been able to feel peace about this journey I'm on. Please pray that I would continue to be at peace with this situation. I know I'll get through it just like everything else in life. I am
especially confident of this because of all of the love, support, and
prayers I have already received from all of you, my wonderful family and
friends.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7
-g
FIRST TO COMMENT! :) So glad that you started the blog. And also happy to hear that you've scheduled surgery. You are already in great hands and covered in prayer! Love you!
ReplyDeleteCan I be your third base coach?? (Or maybe I already am.) I love you, and it's a honor to be your sister. Lucky me!
ReplyDelete